Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Email to ELA Jeremy Kaiser

I wrote this email not merely for the sake of ENG 198, but it was a legitimate question to which I needed answers. I always try to communicate clearly, and as Voltaire apologized: "forgive me for writing such a long letter; I had not the time to write a short one."




Charlie Yu

 to kaiser6
show details Sep 19 (3 days ago)
Hi Jeremy,

I have a few questions about the status report that we're writing for our Steam Car Project:
- What format should it take?
- How long should it be?
- To what depth of detail should I go?
Thanks,
-- 
Haichuan (Charlie) Yu

College of Engineering | Electrical Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign '14

4 comments:

  1. This blog post was perfectly timed for you, since you had to email one of the ELA's concerning the steam car status report. I understand that it was difficult to understand what was needed to be done and so writing this email was not a waste of time, but helpful. Being able to just email a professor or TA questions about homework or even about the lecture helps greatly especially if it is only a small thing.

    From this email you were also able to inplement the question topic that we discussed in lecture on the 20th. You seem to be getting everything that the class is teaching us and using it outside of the class, which is going to help in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This email, ironically, is very short lengthwise. Though the questions are clear for the ELA to understand, there is a lot of room for you to elaborate on what you need to know specifically.
    I can’t think of anything else to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Charlie,
    I really appreciate the way you formatted your questions. It highlights your concerns and makes it very easy for Jeremy to skip directly to your questions. I am glad you took the time to write this short but clear letter. I hope you received a response that was just as concise as yours (and helpful as well!).

    -Linna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that that is a great quote talking about writing in general as well as emails. I think that the skill to condense your writing and still be clean and focused is a very valuable skill. I also like that your information at the bottom doesn't look like everyone else's I've seen.

    ReplyDelete